According to Estatelearning, Shepherd, Texas is a rural town situated in San Jacinto County, approximately fifty miles northeast of Houston. With a population of about 4,000 people, the town is small but vibrant. The geography of Shepherd is characterized by rolling hills and lush green fields that are surrounded by the Sam Houston National Forest. The climate in Shepherd is mild and humid with temperatures ranging from the mid-70s in the summer to the mid-30s in winter.
The history of Shepherd dates back to 1831 when it was first established as a trading post on the Trinity River. Since then, it has grown into a thriving agricultural community with an economy based on cotton and livestock production as well as recreational activities such as hunting and fishing. Politically, Shepherd is represented at the state level by Republican Senator Ted Cruz and at the local level by Mayor Charles Browning.
Shepherd has several schools including two public elementary schools (Shepherd Elementary School and San Jacinto Elementary School) and one high school (Shepherd High School). It also has two private schools: Shepherd Christian Academy and St. Joseph Catholic School. All three public schools are part of the Shepherd Independent School District which serves over 1,800 students from Pre-K through 12th grade.
Landmarks in Shepherd include the Old Mill Museum which showcases artifacts from early settlers, the historic Shepherd Town Square which features a variety of shops and restaurants, and various churches such as First Baptist Church of Shepherd which was founded in 1845. Other popular attractions include Lake Livingston State Park where visitors can enjoy camping, hiking trails, fishing spots, picnic areas, and more; The Artisan Center where visitors can purchase handmade crafts; and The Piney Woods Wildlife Center where visitors can learn about native wildlife species such as deer, coyotes, bobcats, hawks, owls, eagles and more!
Population: 2,029. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,282 (+12.5% change)
Males: 944 (46.5%), Females: 1,085 (53.5%)
San Jacinto County
Zip code: 77371
Median resident age: 37.2 years
Median household income: $28,906
Median house value: $48,500
Races in Shepherd:
- White Non-Hispanic (73.0%)
- Black (18.5%)
- Hispanic (5.5%)
- Two or more races (1.8%)
- Other race (1.6%)
- American Indian (1.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (12.8%), Irish (9.8%), German (7.1%), English (4.6%), French (2.0%), Scottish (1.6%).
Elevation: 162 feet
Land area: 6.1 square miles
Shepherd, Texas is a small town of about 2,000 people located in San Jacinto County. It is a rural community nestled in the rolling hills of East Texas and is known for its friendly people and beautiful scenery. The majority of the population are Caucasians, with African American, Hispanic, and other minorities making up the remainder. The median age of those living in Shepherd is 37 years old, with 23% being under 18 years old and 13% over 65 years old. The median household income is $43,000 per year.
The education level of Shepherd residents is high; 78% have graduated from high school or higher and nearly half have at least some college experience. Education attainment is also an important factor in Shepherd’s economy as many citizens work in manufacturing or agricultural-related industries due to their educational background. In addition to these industries, there are also many small businesses located within the city limits such as restaurants, stores, and service providers that employ many locals as well.
The town of Shepherd has a rich history that dates back to the early 1800s when it was founded by a group of settlers who were looking for land to start their own farms. Over the years it has grown into a thriving community with a strong sense of pride among its citizens. Its close proximity to Houston has helped bring new business opportunities to the area while still maintaining its small-town atmosphere that makes it so attractive to visitors and potential new residents alike.
For population 25 years and over in Shepherd
- High school or higher: 64.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.4%
- Unemployed: 9.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 39.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Shepherd city
- Never married: 18.4%
- Now married: 56.7%
- Separated: 3.6%
- Widowed: 9.0%
- Divorced: 12.2%
2.5% Foreign born (1.9% Latin America, 0.5% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +214 (+11.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Shepherd:
- CLEVELAND REGIONAL MEDICAL CTR (about 10 miles; CLEVELAND, TX)
- MEMORIAL MEDICAL CENTER LIVINGSTON (about 17 miles; LIVINGSTON, TX)
- LIBERTY DAYTON HOSPITAL INC (about 34 miles; LIBERTY, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Shepherd:
- GEORGE BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL ARPT/HOUSTON (about 43 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: IAH)
- WILLIAM P HOBBY (about 62 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: HOU)
- ELLINGTON FIELD (about 63 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: EFD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Shepherd:
- CLEVELAND MUNI (about 10 miles; CLEVELAND, TX; Abbreviation: 6R3)
- LIVINGSTON MUNI (about 14 miles; LIVINGSTON, TX; Abbreviation: 00R)
- MONTGOMERY COUNTY (about 30 miles; CONROE, TX; Abbreviation: CXO)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Shepherd:
- SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 42 miles; HUNTSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 10,429)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-NORTH CAMPUS (about 47 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,819)
- NORTH HARRIS MONTGOMERY COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT (about 48 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 13,933)
- LEE COLLEGE (about 52 miles; BAYTOWN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,099)
- HOUSTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE SYSTEM (about 55 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 21,140)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER (about 55 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,595)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-DOWNTOWN (about 57 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,236)
Public high school in Shepherd:
- SHEPHERD H S (Students: 560; Location: 1401 S BYRD AVE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Shepherd:
- SHEPHERD PRIMARY (Students: 485; Location: 1401 S BYRD AVE; Grades: PK – 02)
- SHEPHERD INT (Students: 442; Location: 1401 S BYRD AVE; Grades: 03 – 05)
- SHEPHERD MIDDLE (Students: 436; Location: 1401 S BYRD AVE; Grades: 06 – 08)
Library in Shepherd:
- SHEPHERD PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $86,653; Location: 30 N LIBERTY ST; 12,727 books; 366 audio materials; 1,123 video materials; 2 serial subscriptions)