Stony Creek, Virginia is a small town of about 5,000 people located in the Shenandoah Valley. The town is nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and is surrounded by rolling hills and pastoral countryside. The climate in Stony Creek is generally mild, with hot summers and cold winters. See harvardshoes for main cities in Virginia.
The area has a long history of settlement, dating back to the 1700s when it was first populated by German immigrants. The local economy has historically been based on agriculture and small businesses, but more recently it has seen an influx of tourism due to its natural beauty and proximity to larger cities such as Richmond.
Education in Stony Creek is provided by two public schools: Stony Creek Elementary School for grades K-5 and Stony Creek High School for grades 6-12. There are also several private schools in the area as well as a community college nearby.
Stony Creek has several notable landmarks that attract visitors from near and far. These include historic buildings such as the old courthouse built in 1803, which now serves as a museum; the George Washington National Forest; Shenandoah Valley National Wildlife Refuge; Carter Mountain Orchard; Skyline Caverns; Luray Zoo; and many more scenic spots throughout the area.
Population: 202. Estimated population in July 2020: 187 (-7.4% change)
Males: 99 (49.0%), Females: 103 (51.0%)
Zip code: 23882
Median resident age: 44.8 years
Median household income: $33,125
Median house value: $57,900
Races in Stony Creek:
- White Non-Hispanic (69.8%)
- Black (29.2%)
Ancestries: United States (17.3%), English (15.3%), German (9.9%), Irish (5.4%), Scotch-Irish (3.0%), French (2.0%).
Elevation: 77 feet
Land area: 0.6 square miles
Neah Stony Creek, Virginia is a small town located in the Appalachian Mountains. The population of Neah Stony Creek is approximately 500 people, with most of the residents being of working-class backgrounds. The town has a rich history and many of its buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The cost of living in Neah Stony Creek is relatively low compared to other parts of Virginia. Housing costs are especially low, with the median home price being around $100,000. Utilities are also lower than average due to the town’s rural location and lack of public transportation options. Groceries and entertainment options can be more expensive than larger cities due to limited availability, but overall it’s still much more affordable than nearby cities like Roanoke or Charlottesville. Public transportation options are limited to a few taxi services and buses that run between nearby towns, so having your own vehicle is recommended for those living in Neah Stony Creek. For those looking for outdoor activities, there are plenty of trails for hiking and biking as well as opportunities for fishing and kayaking on the nearby rivers and lakes.
For population 25 years and over in Stony Creek
- High school or higher: 70.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 21.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.7%
- Unemployed: 0.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Stony Creek town
- Never married: 22.2%
- Now married: 56.3%
- Separated: 4.2%
- Widowed: 10.8%
- Divorced: 6.6%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -69 (-25.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Stony Creek:
- POPLAR SPRINGS HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; PETERSBURG, VA)
- HIRAM W DAVIS MEDICAL CENTER (about 19 miles; PETERSBURG, VA)
- SOUTHSIDE REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 19 miles; PETERSBURG, VA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Stony Creek:
- RICHMOND INTERNATIONAL (about 39 miles; RICHMOND, VA; Abbreviation: RIC)
- NEWPORT NEWS/WILLIAMSBURG INTERNATIONAL (about 65 miles; NEWPORT NEWS, VA; Abbreviation: PHF)
- LANGLEY AFB (about 74 miles; HAMPTON, VA; Abbreviation: LFI)
Other public-use airports nearest to Stony Creek:
- DINWIDDIE COUNTY (about 18 miles; PETERSBURG, VA; Abbreviation: PTB)
- EMPORIA-GREENSVILLE REGIONAL (about 19 miles; EMPORIA, VA; Abbreviation: EMV)
- WATHALL CHANNEL (about 26 miles; CHESTER, VA; Abbreviation: 2G6)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Stony Creek:
- VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 18 miles; PETERSBURG, VA; Full-time enrollment: 3,641)
- JOHN TYLER COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 28 miles; CHESTER, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,520)
- UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND (about 41 miles; RICHMOND, VA; Full-time enrollment: 3,756)
- VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH UNIVERSITY (about 42 miles; RICHMOND, VA; Full-time enrollment: 18,753)
- J SARGEANT REYNOLDS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 47 miles; RICHMOND, VA; Full-time enrollment: 4,906)
- COLLEGE OF WILLIAM AND MARY (about 52 miles; WILLIAMSBURG, VA; Full-time enrollment: 7,133)
- CHRISTOPHER NEWPORT UNIVERSITY (about 64 miles; NEWPORT NEWS, VA; Full-time enrollment: 4,432)